CBD Benefits and supporting research
This article is meant to serve as a resource to aid in your study to determine if CBD supplementation is right for you. Earthbound Extracts makes no claim as to the medical efficacy of CBD, nor can we make recommendations for the treatment of any disease or medical condition. As with any supplement, it is recommended that you consult your physician or a medical professional before beginning any CBD regimen
A prominent compound found in the cannabis plant, CBD, or cannabidiol, has shown to treat numerous diseases. Researchers believe that in view of the very low toxicity and the generally benign dedede effects of CBD, neglecting or denying CBD benefits and its clinical potential is simply unacceptable.
The following is a list of conditions for which research exists that shows where CBD supplementation may be of benefit. Many of these links consist of abstracts on preclinical research involving single cannabinoid molecules, test tubes, petri dishes, animal experiments, and in some cases human cell-line studies. Although all mammals have cell receptors that respond pharmacologically to cannabinoid compounds, data from animal experiments and other preclinical research is not always applicable to humans. Again, it is recommended that you consult a medical professional before beginning a CBD regimen.
CBD for Depression, Anxiety, Mood and Related Disorders
- National Institutes of Health/NCBI: Antidepressant-like and anxiolytic-like effects of cannabidiol: a chemical compound of Cannabis sativa.
- Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an anxiolytic drug.
- NIH/NCBI: Cannabidiol induces rapid-acting antidepressant-like effects and enhances cortical 5-HT/glutamate neurotransmission: role of 5-HT1A receptors.
- NIH/NCBI: Endocannabinoid system dysfunction in mood and related disorders.
- NIH: Neural basis of anxiolytic effects of cannabidiol (CBD) in generalized social anxiety disorder: a preliminary report.
CBD for PTSD
- The endocannabinoid system provides an avenue for evidence-based treatment development for PTSD
- Reductions in circulating endocannabinoid levels in individuals with post-traumatic stress disorder following exposure to the world trade center attacks
- Enhancing cannabinoid neurotransmission augments the extinction of conditioned fear
- CBD blocks long-lasting behavioral consequences of predator threat stress: Possible involvement of 5HT1A receptors
- Stress switches cannabinoid type-1 (CB1) receptor-dependent plasticity from LTD to LTP in the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis
CBD for Inflammation
- NIH: The endocannabinoid system: an emerging key player in inflammation.
- Cannabidiol as an emergent therapeutic strategy for lessening the impact of inflammation on oxidative stress.
- Cannabinoids suppress inflammatory and neuropathic pain by targeting α3 glycine receptors.
- Cannabinoids, inflammation, and fibrosis.
CBD for Pain
- Cannabinoids in the management of difficult to treat pain
- Meta-analysis of cannabis based treatments for neuropathic and multiple sclerosis-related pain.
- Cannabidiol inhibits paclitaxel-induced neuropathic pain through 5-HT(1A) receptors without diminishing nervous system function or chemotherapy efficacy.
CBD for Migraine
- Clinical endocannabinoid deficiency (CECD): Can this concept explain therapeutic benefits of cannabis in migraine, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome and other treatment-resistant conditions?
- The endocannabinoid system and migraine
- Cannabinoids suitable for migraine prevention
CBD for Heart Disease
- CBD as an anti-arrhythmic, the role of the CB1 receptors
- Is the cardiovascular system a therapeutic target for CBD?
- Acute administration of CBD in vivo suppresses ischaemia-induced cardiac arrhythmias and reduces infarct size when given at reperfusion
- CBD attenuates cardiac dysfunction, oxidative stress, fibrosis, and inflammatory and cell death signaling pathways in diabetic cardiomyopathy
- The Effect of CBD on Ischemia/Reperfusion-Induced Ventricular Arrhythmias
- CBD protects against myocardial ischemic reperfusion injury
- Endocannabinoids acting at cannabinoid-1 receptors regulate cardiovascular function in hypertension
CBD for Digestive Disorder, IBS, Crohn’s
- Cannabidiol in inflammatory bowel diseases: a brief overview.
- Cannabis finds its way into treatment of Crohn’s disease.
- Cannabidiol reduces intestinal inflammation through the control of neuroimmune axis.
- Endocannabinoids and the gastrointestinal tract.
CBD for Endocrine Disorders
- Endocannabinoid system participates in neuroendocrine control of homeostasis.
- The emerging role of the endocannabinoid system in endocrine regulation and energy balance.
CBD for Diabetes
- The endocannabinoid system in obesity and type 2 diabetes.
- The endocannabinoid system and plant-derived cannabinoids in diabetes and diabetic complications.
CBD for Menopause Symptoms
This is a growing list. As we continue to identify additional research, we will update this post.
Join the conversation on our Facebook Group.